PROMOTING RESEARCH & SCHOLARSHIP ON THE ARTIST
AMEDEO MODIGLIANI (1884-1920)
Modigliani in his studio on the rue Ravignan, 1915-16
THE MODIGLIANI PROJECT
The Modigliani Project's Catalogue Raisonné of Modigliani's Paintings program has been launched. It will be published online at first, to make it instantly accessible and allow for frequent updating.
An important part of our mission to protect the artistic legacy of Amedeo Modigliani, our catalogue raisonné initiative is unique in the field of Modigliani scholarship: Our project is led by a committee of recognized experts, who will apply a protocol based on verifiable provenance, connoisseurship, and scientific analysis. The committee-based approach follows internationally accepted standards and guidelines, such as those developed by the College Art Association (CAA) and the Catalogue Raisonné Scholars Association (CRSA).
We will have our first Committee meeting on September 25 and 26, 2019. Owners of paintings believed to be by the hand of Amedeo Modigliani can have their paintings considered for inclusion in our catalogue raisonné. Here is the process:
• Download the Submission Form on this site (click here).
• Scan the Form upon completion and e-mail it back to us with any supporting documentation: cr[at]modiglianiproject.org. This is the e-mail address that should be used for all communication about the catalogue raisonné.
• Pay the non-refundable $5000 fee via PayPal (click here).
Once we receive all of your documentation and submission fee:
• We will send you a Scientific Analysis Protocol (which may include pigment analysis, X-ray, infrared, canvas weave, etc.) for you to have your work tested by a Conservator. If you like, we can suggest Conservators in the New York area.
• We will give you the address for the upcoming Committee meeting, at an art shipping and storage facility in mid-lower Manhattan. PLEASE DO NOT DELIVER ANY PAINTING AT ANY TIME TO THE MODIGLIANI PROJECT OFFICE.
We plan to post the accepted works on our website by late November.
We have been asked to consider paintings that are already in the Ceroni catalogue, and we are happy to do so.
While we are not working on a catalogue raisonné of drawings by Modigliani at this time, we can check our archives to see if we have any information on a specific drawing. Please check back in a week or so for information about this archival service and its cost.
© The Modigliani Project; all rights reserved.